History of the District
The administration of health care in Sublette County began back in 1951, with the formation of the Sublette County Memorial Hospital Board. Five individuals were appointed to the board by the County Commissioners and was funded from the county's 12 mils.
On December 16, 1986, an election was held to form the Sublette County Rural Health Care District. Five board members were elected to serve either a four or two year term. A resolution establishing the District was adopted on December 17, 1987.
We have come a long way from the physician directed clinics and volunteer emergency medical service. Paid emergency service started in June 2004. In January 2006, the two existing ambulance services merged to form the Sublette County EMS.
The District took over the operations of the Marbleton/Big Piney Clinic in May 2005 and the Pinedale Medical Clinic in July 2006. In 2007, a new clinic was built in Pinedale with funds provided by the county. The District provided the funding for the furniture, fixtures and medical equipment. In January 2009, the new facility in Marbleton opened its doors. The county provided funding for both clinics and the adjacent ambulance barns.
The District is financially supported by 2 mills that are levied each year by the county. Without the support of this subsidy, we would not be able to provide such a high level of quality care or retain quality, well-trained physicians and staff.